One of our recent clients is a European switched mode power supplies (SMPS) manufacturer that designs power supplies for niche applications. Their products are custom-made and meet the specific electrical, mechanical, and certification requirements of each customer. All involved international safety, electromagnetic compatibility (EMC), and electromagnetic interference (EMI) standards are considered.
Originally, the client was getting their products manufactured in Taiwan; however, they decided to switch to using our manufacturing services due to rising costs. The client also viewed us as being a complete ecosystem for SMPS manufacturing, as we produce magnetic components, which is one of the key cost elements and also from the point of product quality too.
They wanted a manufacturing partner that offers ample resources, printed circuit board assembly (PCBA) capabilities with full box-build integration, and functional testing development combined with minimal barriers-to-entry for international production and sales. They also required that their partner meet the following specifications:
- PCBA in accordance with customer quality standards, governing build criteria for solder joints, component placement tolerance, and other verifiable aspects of circuit board assembly.
- Full box-build capabilities to efficiently assemble internal components and external housings into finished units under one roof.
- A localized supply chain to provide bulk quantities of connection cables, power supplies, batteries, and other materials at shorter lead times and significant overall cost savings over long-distance imports.
- Thorough QA review, with custom-developed system level functional testing.
- Enclosing finished units in the customer’s custom-designed packaging, bundled with all external accessories, and product documentation.
Our world-class electronic manufacturing services (EMS) facility, combined with our experience as a magnetics component manufacturer, earned us their business. Our team quickly ramped-up for production of the customer’s products, coordinating supply of materials with reliable nearby vendors.
Once optimal production scaling was established, finished inventory was warehoused by us for direct shipment to resellers and end user purchasers. As a solution, we created a build-to-print product and what we brought to the table was expertise in magnetics component manufacturing resulting in lower cost, flexibility in terms of volume, and alternate sourcing.
We went through the rigorous process of New Product Introduction (NPI) on this product, integrating with the process of pricing, approval of magnetic parts, proto approval for boards, and mass manufacturing, including development of functional testers.
As a result of our partnership, the client received a high-quality product that combined lower costs and flexibility. Importantly, it helped us gain the confidence of our customer and grow with them through several other programs.
To learn more about this topic, please contact us.